Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Creation and Priority

If you're like me, you've wondered why God dedicated only a very small fraction of His Book to tell the story of how He created the universe.  Growing up in such a technologically advanced culture has its disadvantages.  So much of what our scientists do is centered around figuring out exactly how the universe came to be.  How many billions of dollars have been spent, how many lives have been spent, trying to reveal the minute details of how the earth and stars were made?  Go do a search on Netflix for documentaries.  No doubt you'll find hundreds of movies dedicated to answering questions like "how does gravity work?" or "what happened at the beginning of time?" or "how does a star get born?".  Any career astronomer, geologist, astrophysicist, or archaeologist will tell you that the data is so vast and overwhelming that we may never know the real truth about how it all happened.  Yet they keep searching.

I believe this worldly search is indirectly proportional to what God intended for us to know about how it all began.  Let me explain.  As I was reading Genesis 1 and 2 today in The Message Bible, I was struck for the first time with how little God actually told us about how He made the universe.  Then I heard in my spirit, "God is very careful with words.  He says exactly what He wants for a specific reason."  So, He meant to leave the creation story vague?  Yes.

Why would He want to spend so little time telling us how He made everything?  Maybe because it wasn't a priority.  If you read the Bible with Him, you start to see that all He really wants is a relationship with us.  How the earth and stars were made is irrelevant to that goal.  As I pondered this, I heard in my spirit, "I want your eyes on Me, not on my creations."

Perhaps our culture needs to learn that the Who and the Why are more important than the How.  Spend billions on that, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment